FreeTube Release 0.6.1 Beta: Dash Hotfix, Grid View, New Settings
I was originally debating if I wanted to make a new patch release, but the recent issues with the dash player ended up making the decision for me. Nevertheless, I'm here with a new patch release that fixes the recent issues as well as some nice features to go along with it.
Dash Player Hotfix
A recent update to Dash.js ended up breaking the player functionality, making it impossible to use the Dash player. Fortunately the legacy player was still functional during this time. This release should fix this issue as well as prevent it from happening again. Dash.js is now included with the project and does not rely on a CDN.
This is a pretty highly requested feature that I was finally able to get around to doing. FreeTube now includes a grid view that displays videos in a similar manner to YouTube and other video platforms. This has been enabled by default but the previous list view can still be picked within the settings page.
New Look for the Settings Page
The settings page has been getting a lot of new buttons and toggles recently and it has become difficult to know where everything is at. This latest update includes a complete redesign to the settings page. Every setting has been sectioned off into categories that makes it more clear as to what is being changed. There is also a new popup to remind you to save your settings in order for the changes to take effect.
Other Changes and Fixes
We also have other smaller changes, which includes the following:
- You can now hide watched videos in your subscription feed. Find the option in the settings page.
- The subscription count of a channel has been included on the subscribe button in the player view.
- The title of the video has been included in the top left corner of the video player.
- You can now have FreeTube automatically play the next top recommended video from the video recommendations list. Find the option in the settings page.
- You can now disable auto-playing the next video for playlists. Find the option in the settings page.
- The mini-player can now be set to Always-on-top by using the option found at Window –> Toggle Always on Top
- The FreeTube icon should now be shown in the top left corner of the border window for various operating systems / DEs
- The left and right arrow keys scrub by 5 seconds once again.
- Full screening the video player should no longer offset and be larger than the app window.
- Video captions should no longer be over sized when sometimes full screening a video.
- The mini-player should now properly pause/unpause when using the space-bar and when the mini-player is in focus.
I still haven't figured out the issue to the Linux builds not working in some distros. As a workaround, you can fix this by passing
--no-sandbox as an argument with the executable or try an alternative build such as the one on Flathub.
You can download the new release over at our website.
As always, I appreciate any and all feedback. There are a few highly requested features that I'm hoping to work on in the upcoming weeks so stay on the lookout for those.
Until next time!
NOTE: Packages are not signed and your virus protection may take notice. Please check out the F.A.Q. for more info.