FreeTube Release 0.4.1 Beta
With big updates come big issues. Luckily I'm here today to release 0.4.1 which should fix the major issues that everyone was having with 0.4.0 so let's go through the changes.
Subscriptions Load More Reliably Again
There have been some issues with FreeTube not loading subscriptions properly for one reason or another. This is now fixed and the channels that are causing issues will now be named and shamed.
Subscriptions Load Less Frequently
Another issue with the latest release is that subscriptions (and as a result, the rest of FreeTube) has felt a bit sluggish. While I cannot force subscriptions to load faster, I can make this load less frequently. You'll notice that navigating through the UI has become a bit smoother as a result.
To counter the subscriptions loading less frequently, I have added a new refresh button in the top menu. Clicking on this will force your subscriptions to reload. I have also added a new keyboard shortcut to do this:
Ctrl + R
There were some small changes as well with this release, which includes the following:
- Audio only streams now pick a higher quality stream when listening.
- History and Saved videos should now be in chronological order again.
- You can now individually delete a video from your history. Click on the menu button near that video to do so.
- Videos that have premieres will now show the date it premieres instead of negative numbers.
- Closing out the application before closing out the mini player should not longer prevent you from opening FreeTube again.
Behind the Scenes
Looking for a more technical explanation on how I fix these? Check out my recent Behind the Scenes blog on fixing 0.4.0. I'm interested in hearing your feedback on this.
All FreeTube Versions Before 0.4.0 Are Now Deprecated
If anyone finds any more issues with the current release, please let me know. As always, I appreciate your feedback towards each release.
NOTE: Packages are not signed and your virus protection may take notice. Please check out the F.A.Q. for more info.